Role : Apprentice Software Engineer
Reporting to : Software Development Manager
Location : Birmingham
We are seeking an ambitious, bright and enthusiastic Apprentice Software Engineer to join our established and experienced team.
As the Apprentice Software Engineer, you will be working while studying at Aston University in Birmingham. The Digital and Technology Solutions Degree Apprenticeship consists of full-time campus learning at Aston University for 6 weeks and then an agreed time / day-release basis to complete modules through distance learning with ‘pre-set’ campus learning dates over the following 4 years.
You will receive on-site work experience at head office working closely with the members of the Avery Berkel software team, giving exposure to the full software development cycle leading to a nationally recognised qualification and accreditation. We offer freedom to flourish with supportive mentoring.
During the course of the apprenticeship there will be opportunities to experience other areas of the business including production engineering and product management and extend your network outside of Avery Berkel though the ITW Young Professionals Network.
You will get first-hand experience working on challenging projects using Java and data integration tools.
Requirements and Prospects
Develop Skills in:
- Coding in C++ and Java
- Software testing & debugging
- Software version and change management
- Building and testing of software releases
- Creating software release notesInvestigation and diagnosis of issues reported by customers
- Translating customer pain points to innovative software solutions
- Maintenance of existing software to fix issues and add new features
- To assist with technical duties in related departments, to broaden your skills and knowledge within the Avery Business
- Keen interest in technology and computing with a passion for learning new technologies
- Energetic and motivated starter, with an enthusiastic ‘can do’ attitude
- Critical thinking and problem solving with excellent analytical skills
- Strong verbal and written communicator
- Well organised
- Superb attention to detail
- Not afraid to ask for help when needed
- Competitive Package
- 26 days annual holiday allowance (plus bank holidays)
- Employer enhanced pension scheme up to 11% • Opportunity to be a leading part of a growing team providing an innovative product into the consumer retail sector
- A wide range of career development opportunities across a diverse global group of companies
A Levels (level 3), in a minimum of three subjects equivalent to BBC including maths and preferably a computer science, plus A*-C or 9-4 GCSE qualification in English and maths.
With over 200 years of rich heritage, this specialist company has always been associated with trust and integrity. Over the years, they have proven they understand the changing nature of markets and customer needs in line with the ever-changing world around us. In doing so, they have built a reputation for constantly evolving to deliver exactly what the customer wants with visionary performance, technical advances and design triumphs. Today, this is an international business with an excellent world-wide reputation. A trusted brand name associated with making a wide range of quality, innovative products.
Please send your application, including a detailed CV outlining your current responsibilities, skills, relevant experience and reasons why you are a suitable applicant for the position to Debbie Weaver, HR Administrator, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
CLOSING DATE 14th May 2021